CarShare NL has been on the ground in St. John’s since early 2014. Since getting started, we have:
- Created a core team to drive CarShare NL and a panel of local and national expert advisors on governance, communications and the logistics of establishing a new carshare. Also joined the Federation of Canadian Carshare Cooperatives (FC3).
- Conducted a web-based survey which revealed a promising local interest in CarShare NL – over 100 people have indicated a willingness to join as members.
- Engaged the Memorial School of Business MBA program to write our business plan.
- Submitted our application to become a Co-operative.
- Created communications plan for our launch in 2015.
- Secured our first grant from JustChange St. John’s to support our communications plan.
- Hosted the President of FC3 in St. John’s from September 11-14 to raise awareness of CarShare at several public events and in the media.
- Initiated discussions with car dealership for vehicle purchase.
- Requested insurance quotes.
- Initiated discussions with businesses and the City of St. John’s regarding dedicated parking spaces.
- Developed a collaboration with Metrobus.
Where to next?
Now, in Spring 2015, we are getting ready to launch! That means:
• Engaging 60 people to become members of the CarShare NL co-operative
• Securing funding to power our start up phase
• Building a fleet of up to 3 vehicles for member use
• Securing several parking spots in the downtown and Georgestown areas
• Implementing an intensive communications strategy
Join us for the ride!
Want to help make all this a reality? We’re looking to expand our team of volunteers and supporters. Here’s how you can get involved:
• Membership: Become part of the first 60 for launch in Spring 2015.
• Promotion and marketing: Volunteer and help us make CarShare NL a well-known brand.
• Funding applications: Help us find funds to power our growth.
• Business planning: help us launch a strong and savvy social enterprise.